DARING PASS TO GET PAST BOHN
Veteran Uses Lapped Traffic To Earn NASCAR Whelen Modified
when you don't have the best car a driver must rely
on instincts and experience to get the win.
Defending NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion Doug
Coby used both and it paid big dividends for the
veteran at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
The 38-year-old used lapped traffic in Turn 4 with
11 laps remaining in the 150-lap feature to get by
Danny Bohn and win the Southern Slam 150.
The Milford, Connecticut, native started from the
front after winning the Coors Light Pole earlier in
the day and jumped out to an early lead. The five
time Tour champion held back a charging Ryan Preece,
the defending race winner, and Corey LaJoie on many
occasions within the first half of the race.
Bohn was able to pass Coby on a restart on Lap 81 on
the outside and stayed out front until Coby made his
bold move to get back in front and hold on for his
24th career win.
Bohn ened up second while rookie Calvin Carroll
finished third. Jamie Tomaino rebounded after being
involved in the first caution of the race on the
green flag lap to finish fourth and Bobby Measmer
Jr. completed the top five.
NASCAR K&N Pro Series West rookie Derek Kraus
finished sixth with CJ Lehmann, Lauren Edgerton,
LaJoie and Preece rounding out the top 10.
The race was slowed three times by caution for 13
laps. Preece and LaJoie both fell out of the race
due to mechanical issues ending their pursuit for a
The victory was the second of the season for Coby,
who will head back to Connecticut for the Sunoco
World Series 150 at Thompson Speedway Motorsports
Park with a shot at the tour championship.
Whelen Modified Tour Southern Slam - Charlotte 150
Friday At Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, NC
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 51.040
2. (2) Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (10) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet, 149.
4. (8) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 149.
5. (3) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 148.
6. (5) Derek Kraus, Stratford, WI, Chevrolet, 147.
7. (9) CJ Lehmann, Jim Thorpe, Penn., Chevrolet, 147.
8. (12) Lauren Edgerton, Chesterfield, Va., Chevrolet, 141.
9. (6) Corey LaJoie, Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 109, brakes.
10. (4) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 80, brakes.
11. (11) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla.,
Chevrolet, 66, accident.
12. (7) Trey Hutchens, III, Lexington,
N.C., Ford, 58, rear end.
Time of Race: 0 hours 44 minutes 5 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.049 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D. Coby (59.168 mph,
Caution Flags: 3 for 13 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Bohn 1; D. Coby 2-84; D. Bohn
85-138; D. Coby 139-150.
Jason Christley / NASCAR
October 6, 2017