MOVE WHEN IT COUNTS
Late Pass Of Preece Gives Him Third Career NASCAR Whelen
Modified Tour Win
from the 18th position, Eric Goodale knew it would
take a stout car for him to travel to the front in
Sunday's NAPA Fall Final 150 at Stafford Motor
When it came down to the final laps, Goodale had the
car he needed to get the job done. The Riverhead,
New York, driver scored his third career NASCAR
Whelen Modified Tour win by passing Ryan Preece with
just three laps remaining. The victory was his first
at the half-mile oval.
"Stafford is one of those places that you dream of
winning at when you're a little kid," Goodale said.
"I came up here and watched races when I was a kid.
To be here and finally win a race, we have so many
races under our belt here and we have come close
here so many times. It feels good to finally seal
Goodale's run to the front of the field after his
qualifying effort was not an easy one. He maneuvered
his way to the front and was working the back bumper
of Preece for the race lead in lapped traffic when a
caution at Lap 111 set up the final pit stops of the
day. Goodale's team went to work to help get him out
at the front.
He took the lead from Lap 120-125, but then lost it
and had to follow Preece in the final circuits. A
late move to the bottom of Turn Four got him the
lead with just three laps to go and he never looked
Goodale beat Preece to the line by 0.389 seconds.
Preece came up one spot short of sweeping the 2017
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour races at Stafford. He
led a race-high 115 laps. Ron Silk finished third,
while Chase Dowling and Timmy Solomito rounded out
the top five.
Justin Bonsignore was sixth, followed by Doug Coby,
Bobby Santos, Craig Lutz and Kyle Bonsignore.
With just one race left on the schedule, four-time
champion Coby has a 10 point lead over Justin
Bonsignore in the championship standings. Solomito
is third, 12 markers back, while Preece is fourth,
19 back from the lead.
The NAPA Fall Final 150 will air on NBCSN on
Saturday Oct. 7 at 10 a.m.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour will return to the
track on Sunday Oct. 15 at Thompson Speedway
Motorsports Park, where the 2017 champion will be
Whelen Modified Tour - NAPA Fall Final 150 Results
Sunday At Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs,
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (18) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 72.855 mph.
2. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (3) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (8) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (4) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 1556b 0.
6. (15) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (2) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (10) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (17) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (6) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore,
N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
11. (13) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet,
12. (9) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y.,
13. (27) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet,
14. (7) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford,
Mass., Chevrolet, 149.
15. (23) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet,
16. (20) Kyle Ellwood, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet,
17. (19) Austin Pickens, Windermere, Fla.,
18. (21) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 147.
19. (11) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet,
20. (22) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Ford, 145.
21. (24) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet,
22. (25) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H.,
23. (5) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon
Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 141.
24. (12) Ronnie Williams, Ellington, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 136, right front.
25. (14) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet,
127, rear end.
26. (26) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 74, clutch.
27. (16) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Ford, 52, fuel
Time of Race: 1 hour 1 minute 46 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.389 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R. Preece (97.229 mph,
Caution Flags: 5 for 25 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-115; E. Goodale 116;
R. Williams 117-119; E. Goodale 120-125; R. Preece
126-146; E. Goodale 147-150.
Standings: 1. D. Coby,
563; 2. J. Bonsignore, 553; 3. T. Solomito, 551; 4.
R. Preece, 544; 5. E. Goodale, 538;
6. R. Pennink, 530; 7. D. Sapienza, 475; 8. M.
Swanson, 454; 9. R. Summers, 442; 10. C. Lutz, 404.
Jason Christley / NASCAR
October 1, 2017