AT NEW HAMPSHIRE
Late Pass Of Silk Gives Him Third Career Loudon Win
this season, Bobby Santos used the bottom groove en
route to a victory at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Saturday, Santos used that same groove to win once
The victory allowed Santos to sweep the two NASCAR
Whelen Modified Tour races at the 1.058-mile oval
during the 2017 season. It was his third career win
at the 'Magic Mile' of NHMS.
"We learned a lot in the All-Star race (in July)
that I think helped us win this race today," Santos
said. "This is the race track when it comes to the
modifieds. This is what everyone shoots for. This is
our Super Bowl. It means everything to win here."
Much like he did in July, the Franklin,
Massachusetts, driver found the bottom groove had
the most grip on the track in the final circuits.
Santos took the lead on lap 90 for the first time in
Saturday's F.W. Webb 100, but lost the lead to
Patrick Emerling on lap 96. He took his No. 44 Sully
Tinio/Brendan Kelley Music Chevrolet back to the
front on lap 97 and wasn't challenged back to the
checkered flag in the final three circuits.
It was also the 32-year-old's 16th career victory in
his 131st career Whelen Modified Tour start. He
crossed the line 0.610 seconds ahead of Rowan
Pennink. Behind Pennink, Patrick Emerling finished
third after leading seven laps. Donny Lia and Justin
Bonsignore rounded out the top five.
With his fifth place finish, Bonsignore positioned
himself second in the standings. Four-time series
champion Doug Coby, who led a race-high 64 laps,
finished 15th, but will lead the points by 11 points
over Bonsignore. Timmy Solomito is third in the
standings, 14 off the lead. Ryan Preece, who entered
the race as the points leader, missed the event and
leaves New Hampshire fifth in the championship
Eric Goodale finished sixth, while Ron Silk, Woody
Pitkat, Ryan Newman and Anthony Nocella finished the
The F.W. Webb 100 at New Hampshire will air on NBCSN
Thursday, Sept. 28th at 7 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to the track
next weekend, with the running of the NAPA Fall
Final 150 scheduled for Sunday, October 1 at 3:15
Whelen Modified Tour - F. W. Webb 100 Results
Saturday At New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon,
Lap length: 1.058 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (11) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 100 laps, 82.263 mph.
2. (2) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 100.
3. (5) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, NY, Chevrolet, 100.
4. (3) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Chevrolet, 100.
5. (20) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 100.
6. (13) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 100.
7. (7) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 100.
8. (17) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 100.
9. (1) Ryan Newman, South Bend, IN, Chevrolet, 100.
10. (19) Anthony Nocella, Woburn, Mass., Chevrolet,
11. (12) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, Mass.,
12. (18) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Ford, 100.
13. (15) Ronnie Williams, Ellington, Conn.,
14. (8) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn.,
15. (14) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet,
16. (21) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet,
17. (23) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet,
18. (9) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y.,
19. (24) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Ford, 100.
20. (27) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H.,
21. (22) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 98.
22. (25) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 92.
23. (10) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y.,
Chevrolet, 91, accident.
24. (4) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y.,
25. (6) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H.,
Chevrolet, 37, engine.
26. (26) Dave Salzarulo, Monson, Mass., Chevrolet,
27. (16) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet,
28. (28) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 16, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 17 minutes 10 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.610 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R. Newman (131.556 mph,
Caution Flags: 6 for 27 laps.
Lead Changes: 18 among 6 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Newman 1; T. Solomito 2; R.
Newman 3-5; T. Solomito 6;
R. Newman 7-8; T. Solomito 9-15; D. Coby 16; T.
Solomito 17; D. Coby 18-43;
R. Silk 44; D. Coby 45-63; P. Emerling 64-66; D.
Coby 67-76; P. Emerling 77-79;
D. Coby 80-87; R. Silk 88-89; B. Santos 90-95; P.
Emerling 96; B. Santos 97-100.
Standings: 1. D. Coby,
526; 2. J. Bonsignore, 515; 3. T. Solomito, 512; 4.
R. Pennink, 509; 5. R. Preece, 500;
6. E. Goodale, 491; 7. D. Sapienza, 443; 8. M.
Swanson, 437; 9. R. Summers, 417; 10. M. Zachem,
Jason Christley / NASCAR
September 23, 2017