CONQUERS "THUNDER VALLEY"
First NASCAR Whelen Modified Win Comes On Bristol High-Banks
Emerling swept his way to Victory Lane with a
near-perfect performance at Bristol Motor Speedway
The Orchard Park, New York, driver was fastest in
practice, won the Coors Light Pole Award and
proceeded to lead 148 of the 150 laps en route to
his first career NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
"It's just a dream come true," said Emerling
following the win at the historic track dubbed
'Thunder Valley.' "It's incredible. We only run a
handful of the Whelen Tour races and to come down
here and win practice, catch the pole and lead every
single lap, it's an incredible feeling for us as a
The win for the 24-year-old came in his 78th career
start and just his third of 2017. He held off
challenges from Chase Dowling and Justin Bonsignore
on restarts in the first half of the race, then held
off four-time tour champion Doug Coby in the dash to
He crossed the line 1.239 seconds ahead of Coby.
Prior to Wednesday, Emerling's best career finish
was a second at New Hampshire in 2015.
For Coby, the second-place finish was the third
straight in Whelen Modified Tour competition and it
helped him claw back towards the top of the
Timmy Solomito, who was caught up in a Lap 68
accident, came home 15th to maintain a two-point
edge on Rowan Pennink. Ryan Preece finished fifth
and is nine points behind Solomito, while Coby is 17
Justin Bonsignore finished third and is 19 points
out of first. Chase Dowling and Preece rounded out
the top five at Bristol.
Andy Seuss was sixth, followed by Pennink, Ronnie
Williams, Bobby Santos and Matt Swanson.
The Bush's Beans 150 will air on NBCSN Saturday
August 26 at 3 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Modified Tour returns to
the track at Seekonk Speedway on Saturday August 26,
with the running of the Seekonk 150.
Whelen Modified Tour - Bush's Beans 150 Results
Wednesday At Bristol Motor, Bristol TN
Lap length: 0.53 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, NY, Chevrolet, 150
laps, 69.924 mph.
2. (9) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (4) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (2) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (7) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (14) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (19) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (3) Ronnie Williams, Ellington, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (6) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (12) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Ford, 150.
11. (20) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, PA., Chevrolet,
12. (21) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet,
13. (25) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 124.
14. (24) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn.,
15. (8) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y.,
16. (5) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y.,
Chevrolet, 107, mechanical.
17. (16) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet,
18. (22) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla.,
Chevrolet, 91, accident.
19. (13) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, N.Y.,
Chevrolet, 66, mechanical.
20. (10) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet,
59, rear end.
21. (23) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H.,
Chevrolet, 58, handling.
22. (15) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 21, engine.
23. (11) Austin Pickens, Windermere, Fla.,
Chevrolet, 8, accident.
24. (18) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet, 8,
25. (17) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 8,
26. (26) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet,
Time of Race: 1 hour 8 minutes 13 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: P. Emerling (131.432 mph,
Margin of Victory: 1.239 seconds14.517
Caution Flags: 5 for 44 laps.
Lead Changes: 4 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: P. Emerling 1-66; J. Bonsignore
67; P. Emerling 68-72; J. Bonsignore 73; P. Emerling
Standings: 1. T. Solomito,
380; 2. R. Pennink, 378; 3. R. Preece, 371; 4. D.
Coby, 363; 5. J. Bonsignore, 361;
6. E. Goodale, 349; 7. D. Sapienza, 313; 8. M.
Swanson, 308; 9. M. Zachem, 301; 10. R. Summers,
Jason Christley / NASCAR
August 16, 2017