CHARGES LATE AT THOMPSON
Posts Second Straight NASCAR Whelen Modified Win & Fourth of
wave of momentum for Ryan Preece continued on
Wednesday night at Thompson Speedway Motorsports
Preece charged to the front of the 28th Annual Bud
"King of Beers" 150 for his second straight NASCAR
Whelen Modified Tour victory and fourth of the
The Berlin, Connecticut, driver passed defending
champion Doug Coby with just 16 laps remaining en
route to the win. In his last six Whelen Modified
Tour starts, he has four wins, a second and a
fourth. It was his 19th career tour victory.
"Doug put a lot more pressure on me at the end then
I thought he was going too," Preece said following
his win. "I have to keep winning races. My career
depends on that. We had a really good car tonight."
Wednesday's drive was filled with plenty of drama.
While some of the top challengers pitted before the
halfway point, Preece decided to wait things out and
make a late pit stop for fresh rubber. However, on
Lap 114, his No. 6 TS Haulers/Hoosier Tire of
Calverton Chevrolet went spinning in Turn 2. Preece
fired the car before going a lap down and pitted for
tires two laps later.
From there, it was a hard charge to the front.
Preece worked his way into the top five and then
passed leader Coby with just 16 laps remaining.
While Preece showed the way for the final laps, Coby
was not about to let him get away. However, on the
final lap, Coby made contact with the Turn 1 wall.
Coby was able to continue on and was scored as the
runner-up as the race ended under caution. The
yellow flag froze the field on the final lap, and
NASCAR officials ruled Coby maintained a reasonable
speed under caution given the track conditions.
Ted Christopher finished third, followed by Timmy
Solomito and Bobby Santos.
Andrew Krause was sixth, followed by Rowan Pennink,
Eric Goodale, Jon McKennedy and Woody Pitkat.
Solomito increased his championship points lead to
10 over Pennink, while Preece moved up to third --
19 back of Solomito -- despite missing a race
earlier in the season to get married. Coby and
Goodale are each 11 points back of Preece.
The Bud "King of Beers" 150 will air on NBCSN on
Thursday, Aug. 17 at 7 p.m.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to the track
next Wednesday night at Bristol Motor Speedway with
the running of the Bush's Beans 150.
Whelen Modified Tour - Bud King of Beers 150 Results
Wednesday At Thompson International Speedway,
Lap length: 0.625 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps,
2. (7) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (5) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (2) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 150.
5. (8) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (6) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (1) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (15) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (4) Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (13) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet,
11. (14) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY,
12. (12) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet,
13. (18) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y.,
14. (9) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn.,
15. (10) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
16. (11) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet,
17. (16) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Ford, 149.
18. (23) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet,
19. (17) CJ Lehmann, Shirley, Pa., Chevrolet, 146.
20. (20) Calvin Carroll, Newton, N.J., Chevrolet,
21. (22) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 143.
22. (21) Dillon Steuer, Bohemia, N.Y., Chevrolet,
23. (19) Jeff Rocco, Meriden, Conn., Chevrolet, 100,
24. (26) Walter Sutcliffe Jr., East Haven, Conn.,
Chevrolet, 83, clutch.
25. (24) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H.,
Chevrolet, 55, power steering.
26. (25) Dave Salzarulo, Monson, Mass., Chevrolet,
Time of Race: 0 hours 59 minutes 35 seconds
Margin of Victory: 10.597 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R. Pennink (120.340 mph,
Caution Flags: 4 for 19 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Pennink 1-6; R. Preece 7-82;
J. Bonsignore 83-87;
T. Solomito 88-126; D. Coby 127-133; R. Preece
Standings: 1. T. Solomito,
351; 2. R. Pennink, 341; 3. R. Preece, 332; 4. D.
Coby, 321; 5. E. Goodale, 321;
6. J. Bonsignore, 319; 7. M. Zachem, 301; 8. D.
Sapienza, 289; 9. W. Pitkat, 283; 10. R. Summers,
Jason Christley / NASCAR
August 9, 2017