CIVALI CRUISES TO VICTORY AT SOUTH BOSTON
Scores First Win Since 2010 in Caution-Free Race
the start of the season James Civali was not in the
No. 79 Pontiac owned by longtime NASCAR Whelen
Southern Modified Tour car owner Susan Hill and led
by her husband David Hill on the pit box.
The Hillís asked Civali to come back and drive their
car in early August and in his third start for the
veteran team, the Meriden, Conn. native gave them a
reason to celebrate.
Civali passed Danny Bohn on Lap 107 and remained out
front the rest of the way to score his first tour
win since 2010 and second at South Boston Speedway
in the South Boston 150.
Civali held off Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender
Kyle Bonsignore over the final 20 laps of the race
to win the first caution-free southern tour race
Bonsignore scored his best finish to date coming
home second with George Brunnhoelzl third, Bohn
fourth and points leader Burt Myers completing the
Bobby Measmer Jr. followed up his first tour win
last weekend with a sixth-place finish with Kyle
Ebersole, Jason Myers, Jeremy Gerstner and Andy
Seuss completing the top 10.
This was the third caution-free race in the history
of the southern tour with the other two coming at
Hickory Motor Speedway and Southern National
Motorsports Park both in the second season of the
With his top-five finish Burt Myers was able to gain
five points over Seuss and unofficially has a
19-point lead over the two-time defending champion
with two races remaining on the schedule.
Bohn captured his third Coors Light Pole award of
the season and led the first 107 laps of the race
before Civali made his move to the point.
The South Boston 150 will air on NBCSN on Thursday,
Sept. 22, at 7 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to
action on Saturday, Sept. 24 for the Caraway 150 at
NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
Saturday At South Boston Speedway, South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) James Civali, Meriden, Conn, Pontiac, 150 laps, 88.235
2. (5) Kyle Bonsignore*, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
3. (2) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet,
4. (1) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
5. (3) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
6. (8) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (6) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 149.
8. (9) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 149.
9. (10) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 149.
10. (7) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 149.
11. (11) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 148.
12. (14) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 145.
13. (15) Shawn Balluzzo, Newport News, VA, Chevrolet, 144.
14. (16) Lauren Edgerton *, Chesterfield, VA, 143.
15. (12) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 140.
16. (13) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 0, did not start.
Time of Race: 40 minutes 48 seconds
Margin of Victory: .494 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D. Bohn (96.554 mph, 14.914 seconds)
Caution Flags: 0 for 0 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Bohn 1-106; J. Civali 107-150.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 383; 2. A. Seuss, 364; 3. G. Brunnhoelzl III,
354; 4. D. Bohn, 353; 5. B. Measmer Jr., 352; 6. J. Myers, 342; 7. K.
Bonsignore*, 327; 8. G. Putnam, 310; 9. J. Gerstner, 309; 10. K. Ebersole,
Tim Southers /
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
September 18, 2016