BRUNNHOELZL SCORES SECOND STRAIGHT WIN
Four-time Champion Stays Hot With Second Career Win At South
didnít take a late-race pass like last week to get
the win, but George Brunnhoelzl III had to work hard
to score his second straight NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour triumph.
Brunnhoelzl passed Andy Seuss on Lap 125 to regain
the lead and held off Burt Myers to win the South
Boston 150 at South Boston Speedway on Saturday.
The victory was the 27th of his storied career and
he now joins Seuss as the only driver to score
multiple wins at the historic .4-mile track located
in South Boston, Virginia.
Myers started the afternoon winning his first career
Coors Light Pole Award at South Boston and led the
first 36 laps before Brunnhoelzl got to the top
spot, where he stayed for the next 42 circuits.
Myers remained in second place until he was able to
make an impressive pass on the outside of
Brunnhoelzl in Turn 3 to regain the lead.
Myers led until Lap 98 when Seuss got to front going
after a tour-best fourth win at the track.
Danny Bohn brought out the third and final caution
of the race on Lap 127 just after Brunnhoelzl passed
Seuss for the lead. The third generation driver was
able to hold the lead on the final restart and score
his first victory at South Boston since 2013.
Myers got past Seuss on Lap 142 to hold on his
points lead by just one point over Brunnhoelzl
(133-132) with his second-place finish.
Seuss followed in third with Kyle Bonsignore scoring
his first career top-five finish in fourth. Bohn
recovered from his late spin to finish fifth.
Gary Putnam, Kyle Ebersole, Austin Pickens, Jason
Myers and Richie Pallai Jr. rounded out the top 10.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will be
back in action on April 16 with the Dogwood 150 at
Caraway Speedway in Sophia, North Carolina.
NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
Saturday At South Boston Speedway, South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y.,
Chevrolet, 150 laps, 77.060 mph.
2. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
3. (4) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (3) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
5. (5) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (8) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (7) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 134,
8. (11) Austin Pickens, Orlando, Fla., Chevrolet, 106, handling.
9. (6) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 46, rear end.
10. (9) Richie Pallai Jr., Yorktown Heights, N.Y., Pontiac, 30,
11. (10) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 2, power steering.
12. (12) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 0, did not start.
Time of Race: 46 minutes 43 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.237 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B. Myers (96.839 mph, 14.87 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 14 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Myers 1-36; G. Brunnhoelzl III 37-78; B. Myers 79-98;
A. Seuss 99-112;
G. Putnam 113; A. Seuss 114-124; G. Brunnhoelzl III 125-150.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 133; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 132; 3. A. Seuss,
123; 4. D. Bohn, 115;
5. J. Myers, 114; 6. B. Measmer Jr., 113; 7. K. Bonsignore, 105; 8. G.
9. R. Pallai Jr., 99; 10. J. Gerstner, 97.
Tim Southers /
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
April 9, 2016