FURIOUS RALLY RETURNS MYERS TO VICTORY LANE
Third Caraway Win, 17th of Whelen Southern Modified Career
10th with 25 laps to go at an oval where track
position is a premium, Burt Myers faced a daunting
challenge. The ensuing final circuits may be among
the best of his distinguished NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour career.
Myers, who came to pit road in the night’s
second-to-last caution to flip-flop his left side
tires, gained four positions in six circuits after
the restart and four more by Lap 144. The night’s
last yellow flag provided the Walnut Cove, North
Carolina, modified veteran the final opportunity he
Myers beat Danny Bohn on the restart of the
green-white-checkered flag finish and powered to
victory in the Davis Roofing 150 at Caraway
Speedway. It was the 17th triumph overall for Myers
and his third at the venerable .455-mile oval.
It was a topsy-turvy evening in the No. 1 Remington
SCT/Speedway Auto Auction Ford for Myers, who
started on the front row and took the lead for the
first time from the polesitter Bohn on Lap 28. He
manned the front until Lap 82 when he pitted under
caution for a new right rear tire. Myers returned to
the race eighth after a lengthy stop, but moved back
up to fifth before returning to pit road for the
tire swap that proved to be his key to victory.
Bobby Measmer Jr. was also able to get by Bohn in
the final circuit for second place, his best career
finish. Bohn, Jason Myers and two-time defending
tour titlist Andy Seuss rounded out the top five.
Brendon Bock, George Brunnhoelzl III, Jeff Goodale,
Richie Pallai Jr. and Jeremy Gerstner completed the
In his first race with the Fleming Family Racing No.
40, Bohn captured his sixth career Coors Light Pole
Award earlier in the evening and led two different
times for 50 laps.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return
to action next Saturday, March 19 at Concord
Speedway for just the second race in tour history at
the North Carolina tri-oval with the Southern
NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour-Davis Roofing 150 Results
Saturday At Caraway Speedway, Sophia, N.C.
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 151 laps, 69.516
2. (6) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 151.
3. (1) Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J., Chevrolet, 151.
4. (9) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 151.
5. (8) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 151.
6. (11) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y., Chevrolet, 151.
7. (3) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y.,
8. (14) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 151.
9. (16) Richie Pallai Jr., Yorktown Heights, N.Y., Pontiac, 151.
10. (4) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Chevrolet, 151.
11. (5) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 149.
12. (15) Austin Pickens, Orlando, Fla., Chevrolet, 146.
13. (7) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 145.
14. (12) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 122.
15. (13) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, N.Y., Chevrolet, 74, accident.
16. (10) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 71, alternator.
Time of Race: 59 minutes 18 seconds
Margin of Victory: .384 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D. Bohn (101.506 mph, 16.137 seconds)
Caution Flags: 7 for 34 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Bohn 1-27; B. Myers 28-82; A. Seuss 83-125; D. Bohn
126-142; A. Seuss 143; D. Bohn 144-148; B. Myers 149-151.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 48; 2. B. Measmer Jr., 42; 3. D. Bohn, 42; 4.
J. Myers, 40; 5. A. Seuss, 40; 6. B. Bock, 38; 7. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 37; 8.
J. Goodale, 36; 9. R. Pallai Jr., 35; 10. J. Gerstner, 34.
Tim Southers /
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
March 12, 2016