.Teams and Drivers,
Submit your FREE profile
 for 2010
   The Chrome Horn - NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour



Coby Currently Leads NWMT Point Standing By Three Points by Denise DuPont

The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour (NWMT) returned to Stafford Motor Speedway on Friday, June 3rd for the TSI Harley-Davidson 125. The race was a green-white-checkered finish with Doug Coby of Milford, CT. taking home the victory with his nineteenth career NWMT win and his second victory for the 2016 race season.

Coby was all smiles in Victory Lane with winning trophy in hand at Stafford. ”I had a great car all day from my team. The team never quits. Even though we are fast, the team always tries to get faster which makes them champions, which makes us win races. We kept dialing in on this car all day in practice. Even right before the feature the team were crawling under the car making last minute adjustments. Awesome win for the team, it was a great night!”

Coby started on the pole after claiming his thirteenth career NWMT Coors Light pole Award. He now has six poles in the books from Stafford. When the green flag flew to start the race, Coby grabbed the lead and pulled Lia and Rowan Pennink of Huntingdon Valley, Pa. to create a break away pack. The race ran 130 circuits with Coby leading all but one in the Mike Smeriglio III owned, Dunleavy’s Repair/A&J Romano Construction sponsored Chevrolet. Donny Lia of Jericho, NY, was credited with leading on lap 71 after lapped traffic blocked the leaders on the front stretch. Coby rebounded quickly to take back the top position to dominate the rest of the race. “You never know what is going to happen, Stated Coby from victory lane. “I am glad that we had those restarts which was really interesting for the fans as well as myself. “

This action was quickly followed by caution on lap 73 which broke the lead group’s forward momentum. Rick Summers and Woody Pitkat were racing for position when they spun just after turn four. Summers pulled away but Pitkat ended his night leaving the track on the hook. The field took advantage of the break in action to pit for tires/adjustments and the top three quickly pulled out to reclaim their positions.

The race continued for approximately another 30 laps until rookie Matt Swanson spun on his own in turn two bringing out the second caution of the night. A few cars pitted and the race was under way on lap 116. As the field came off of turn two, cars were three wide challenging for position three. The drivers ran out of room and Islip, NY’s Timmy Solomito hit the outside wall while Pennink squeezed through the middle and Jimmy Blewett of Howell, NJ. took the bottom. The field was under red while track crew cleared the #16 car off the track.

“It looked like Rowan Pennink’s car shut off and then when I was alongside of him I realized that his car did not shut off. “ Stated Blewett about the incident. “He drove high and pushed everybody up into the marbles. Doing this, he left a big hole on the bottom of the track. So I drove straight through.” This move allowed Blewett to avoid the crash and gave him fourth for the next restart.

Restarting race action on lap 121 the field was staged for a four lap dash for the cash. But as we know cautions breed cautions and the yellow flag flew one lap later for a stopped car in turn three. Chase Dowling from Roxbury, CT. pulled away when the yellow flag flew. Dowling was set back a lap for intentionally bringing out the caution and the race was under green on lap 128 for the green-white-checkered finish.

“You never know what is going to happen on a late race restart.” Coby expressed about the race end. “You get a little slide off the restart and then you are tight because you drive it off and into the corner and you do not know if somebody behind you has a good run.
Coby took the win followed across the line by Blewett who scored his second straight podium with a runner-up finish.

“To bring home second with the car in one piece, feels good,” confessed Blewett. With a solid second place finish, the Starrett Dodge, Bob Garbarino owned #4 sure look like they have found what they need to get the job done. “This finish is good momentum for the team. We went to Waterford and we finally we able to start a notebook after the crash here at the last race. So we worked off of our baseline here tonight from our notes from Waterford (Speedbowl). When we came here we saw that the car ran well. I feel overall we had a third place car. I ran with Donny as hard as we could the last couple of laps.”

After a strong night, Lia finished third. He had made several attempts to pass for the lead during the 130 circuits but was only able to grab one lap. “We have been struggling and while doing that we are getting together the piece that we need. We are building on it racing. And tonight was a good step in the right direction to build our team.”

“I would have liked to won the race but finishing in second or third it does not matter. We did not win the race. I thought at times we were better than Doug but he had control of the race all night and he did a good job. There were a couple of cautions there at the end that we did not need. It was a good night and we will take it and move on. Tonight was what we needed and this really works out for us.

Eric Goodale and Justin Bonsignore rounded out the top five. Pennink finished sixth followed by Ron Silk, Bobby Santos, Brendon Bock and Max Zachem to complete the top 10.

The NWMT teams will return to racing on Wednesday, June 15th, at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.
Source: Polly Reid / TheChromeHorn.com
: June 5, 2016

2007-2016  © GeeLaw Motorsports/RGeePro/Wolf Pack Ventures, Inc.   Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form without written prior consent